Tuesday, August 20, 2019

3.5.5. TAILORS UNITE, THE CITY HELPS

 

THEIR COOPERATIVE MAKES PROTOTYPES AND LIMITES SERIES UNDER THE LABEL "MADE IN LA GOUTTE D'OR" 

It has existed since 2000. The City backs it since 2012.



Its window cand show cultures that are French, Islamic and African:  

Costume of Fadel Couture

 


Personnage invented for Nuit Blanche ("White Night" a City-sponsored event that goes on all night)

Kitty Hartl, the event's artistic director, created the figure in the cooperative's workshop. 

"I had seen this Yéti in an artistic event in dans un Nantes, and produced the model. I needed 200 for  Nuit Blanche. But I received only twenty. I had asked fashion schools but they did not answer or told me it was impossible. Then I found this marvelous workshop. It was undreamed of."   


*     *

During the first covid confinement the cooperative produced a million masks with filters, commission by the Mayor when they were still rare. 



*     *

Orders include costumes for an Opéra production: 

Fadel making coats for an Opéra show. 
 
"What was that show?" I asked."
 "I don't remember I've made the costumes for so many since then."   

*     *

"The cooperative is not only for money, but to show that we are useful."
-- Fadel


It also shows the vitality
of a production rooted in the neighborhood. 

*    *    *
Next,

No comments: