Monday, February 20, 2017

THE CITY BACKS THE COUTURIERS' COOPERATIVE


IT PRODUCES PROTOTYPES AND SMALL SERIES UNDER THE LABEL LA FABRIQUE DE LA GOUTTE D'OR ("MADE IN LA GOUTTE D'OR")


It has existed since 2000. The City has backed it since 2012.

6 rue des Gardes 

Its window shows traditional French, Muslim and African cultures: 

   
Figure invented for Nuit Blanche ("All night," a City-sponsored event) in June 2023  
Austria's Kitty Hartl, artistic director of the event, makes the figure in the cooperative's workshop.

"I'd seen this Yeti at an artistic event in Nantes, and furnished the model. I wanted 200 for Nuit Blanche. Finally there'll be 20 ... I'd first asked fashion schools but they did not answer or said it was impossible. Then I found this marvelous workshop. It was unhoped for.  


# # #

During the first lockdown the cooperative produced a million masks with filters, which the Mayor ordered when they were still rare:




Orders include the costumes for an Opera production: 

Fadel makes coats for a performance in 2020. "What was that show?" I asked. "I don't remember," he answered. "I've made costumes for six productions since then."

A meeting
 

 "The cooperative is not for money alone,
but to show that we are useful."
-- Fadel
It also shows the vitality
of unique immigrant production,
rooted in the neighborhood.

*    *    *
Next,




No comments: